You must complete an application. Use the Birth Certificate Application English (PDF) or Birth Certificate Application Spanish (PDF) form to order a certificate. You must sign and date the application in front of a notary public if applying by mail or in front of county staff if applying in person.
Requirements to Obtain A Death Certificate
- You must meet the legal requirements to get a certified birth certificate.
- You must complete an application to request a certificate.
- You must show valid identification.
- You can get a birth certificate only if you have tangible interest.
- You must qualify to get a confidential record in addition to having tangible interest.
- You must pay a fee of $26. If you order more than one copy, each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time is $19. Fees are non-refundable, per Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226.
- You must sign your application.
If No Record Exists
You will receive a “Statement of No Birth Record Found” if you request a certificate and the state or county vital records office cannot identify or find a record using the information you provide.
Payment is required to get a birth certificate and most other vital records documents.
The fees are the same at all county vital records offices statewide. See Mower County payment options above. The State Office of Vital Records accepts payment by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check or money order.
All certificates are mailed using First Class Mail. If you would like your certificate returned by priority or overnight mail please provide the appropriate self-addressed stamped envelope. Contact the county for more information at 507-437-9535. We are not responsible for deliveries that do not require signatures.
If you want a copy of a record for a birth that occurred in another state, see the National Center for Health Statistics website for contact information.